|You are here: Main / Customer Services / Public Communications Division / 2014 / 02/10/14 Mayor Kirk Caldwell to lead trade mission to the Philippines|
Monday, February 10, 2014
Contact: Jay Parasco (808) 768-4370
Mayor Kirk Caldwell to lead trade mission to the Philippines
Mayor Kirk Caldwell is travelling to the Philippines today through February 19th with the Filipino Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii.
The purpose of the visit is to strengthen ties, promote business opportunities, and renew sister city agreements. Previous mayors Peter Carlisle and Mufi Hannemann and former Governor Linda Lingle have led this trade mission in past years.
Managing Director Ember Lee Shinn is also out of state today at a meeting of the Urban Land Institute in Portland, Oregon. Per city charter, Director of the Department of Budget and Fiscal Services Nelson Koyanagi, Jr. will be Acting Mayor from February 10 to 13. Managing Director Ember Lee Shinn will be Acting Mayor when she returns on February 14th until Mayor Caldwell returns to Honolulu on February 18th.
Public Schedule for February 8 - February 18, 2014:
Monday, February 10:
· Depart Honolulu
Tuesday, February 11:
· Arrive in the Philippines, travel to Manila City
Wednesday, February 12:
· Meet with former Honolulu Deputy Consul Paul Cortez
· Travel to Vigan, in Ilocos Sur to meet with Governor Ryan Luis V. Singson.
Thursday, February 13:
· Meeting with Candon City Mayor Ericson Signson for renewal of Friendship City arrangement with Honolulu.
· Meeting with Congressman Eric Singson
· Business Forum with Candon Chamber of Commerce. Mayor Caldwell to be guest of honor and speaker at the event.
Friday, February 14:
· Travel to Baguio City
· Meeting with Baguio City Mayor Maurico Domogan for renewal of Sister-City initiatives and business partnerships with Honolulu.
Saturday, February 15:
· Meeting with Saint Louis University President Father Jessie Hechanova for a tour of campus and renewal of the Memorandum of Understanding with Honolulu.
· Business forum with PCCI, Baguio City Branch. Mayor Caldwell to be guest of honor and speaker at the event.
· Tour of Baguio City with Daniel Urquico, Chief Information Officer.
Sunday, February 16:
· Travel to San Ferdenando Pampanga
· Meeting with San Ferdenando Pampanga Mayor Edwin D. Santiago and Vice Mayor Jaime T. Lazatin. Mayor Caldwell and Honolulu Consul Julius Torres will be conferred as “Adopted Sons of Pampanga”
· Signing of a Memorandum of Understanding with San Ferdenando Pampanga Chamber of Commerce and Industry, headed by President Marco Antonio Jimenez. Mayor Caldwell and Consul General Torres to be speakers at the event.
Monday, February 17:
· Travel to Manila City
· Meeting with former president of the Philipinnes and current Manila City Mayor Joseph “Erap” Ejercito Estrata.
· Attending a wreath laying ceremony at Rizal Park
· Visit with Vice President of the Philippines Jejomar Binay
· On-site visit of the Metro Manila Rail Transit
· Business Workshop, “Investment Opportunities in Hawaii.” Mayor Caldwell to be guest of honor and speaker at the event.
Tuesday, February 18:
· Return to Honolulu
Note to media: Communications Director Jesse Broder Van Dyke will be traveling with the mayor and providing photos; please contact him via email to set up interviews with the mayor. Please contact Jay Parasco at 768-4370 for all other city inquiries through Feb. 18.