Official website of the City and County of Honolulu
  You are here:  Main / Customer Services / Motor Vehicles, Licensing and Permits Division / Motor Vehicle Information

City Information on Twitter


General Information

Registration records of all vehicles in Hawaii must be updated annually.


Annual fees are based on the vehicle weight and usage. They are computed by the Division of Motor Vehicles, Licensing and Permits. You may calculate the fees that will be charged by visiting the Honolulu Motor Vehicle Fee Inquiry site at:


The deadline for registering vehicles is the last working day of the expiration month of the current registration. However, if the registration expiration date occurs on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the delinquent renewal penalty fee will not be charged until after the next working day.


A penalty will be assessed if fees are not paid on or before the expiration date. The penalty shall be an annual flat rate of $16.00 ($8.00-County Weight Tax penalty and $8.00-State weight Tax penalty) for the passenger rate and $40.00 ($20.00-County Weight Tax penalty and $20.00-State Weight Tax penalty) for the commercial rate.


Make checks payable to: City and County of Honolulu. Proof of Hawaii motor vehicle insurance is required to obtain a vehicle inspection, and the vehicle inspection sticker and certificate are necessary to operate a vehicle on all Hawaii roads and for all vehicle ownership-registration transactions.


Non-resident active duty military personnel must submit a properly completed Non-Resident Certificate, Form CS-L (MVR) 50*, for each registration, renewal or transfer transaction.


Hawaii residents on active duty and members of the  National Guard and Reserve and who are assigned to units located in Hawaii are exempt from motor vehicle weight taxes for one vehicle registered in their name.  You must submit a properly completed Hawaii Resident Certificate, Form CS-L (MVR)50A, for each registration, renewal or transfer transaction.

*Form CS-L (MVR) 50 and Form CS-L (MVR)50A is available from your military personnel office or your military unit.

Vehicle Registration Renewal

If your vehicle is registered in the City and County of Honolulu and you have recently received a renewal notice, you may submit your application on-line via the World Wide Web provided that your address is correct and no supplemental forms are required (safety inspection certificate, location certificate, CS-L (MVR) 50 or 50A, etc). All on-line renewals are to be made by debit or credit cards only (Visa, MasterCard or Discover Card logos are accepted).

To renew your vehicle registration on-line and for more information, go to HONOLULU's On-Line Vehicle Registration Renewal System.  (Only credit and debit cards are accepted for on-line registration renewals.) 

You may also renew your vehicle registration:

  • By mail to:
    Division of Motor Vehicles and Licensing
    P.O. Box 30320
    Honolulu, Hawaii 96820-0320
    (When mailing the registration application to you, the City provides a self-addressed envelope).
  • In person at any Satellite City Hall. Call 768-3798 for office hours and addresses of the Satellite City Halls.

When paying by mail or in person, the following payment types are accepted:

  • By cash, check (drawn on U.S. funds), money order, traveler's check, or cashier's check. There is a $25.00 service fee for returned checks.
  • Credit or Debit cards are accepted only for on-line registration renewals.  

Registering New Vehicles Bought from Oahu Dealer

When you buy a new vehicle on Oahu, the dealer will probably have it registered and licensed for you. But if this service is not provided, this is what you must do:

  • Fill out an Application for Registration, Form CS-L (MVR) 1, which must be signed by you, the registered owner(s) and countersigned by a licensed Oahu vehicle dealer.
  • Submit a current Hawaii Vehicle Inspection Certificate.
  • If you are an active duty service member stationed in Hawaii and a non-resident of this state, you must submit the Non-Resident Certificate, Form CS-L (MVR) 50, available from your military personnel office or your military unit.

The required fees will be determined by vehicle registration or Satellite City Hall personnel.

Out of State Permit - must have the following

  • Current Out of state registration
  • Shipping document (Bill of Lading)
  • Fill out CS-L (MVR) 27 form (out of state permit application form)
  • Current Hawaii Vehicle Inspection Certificate 

In lieu of Out of State permit - RO must produce the following for vehicle currently registered out of State

  • Out of state Title (if available)
  • Current Hawaii Vehicle Inspection Certificate
  • Current out of state registration
  • Bill of Lading
  • Fill out an Application for Registration, Form CS-L (MVR) 1, which must be signed by you, the registered owner(s)
  • Pay the license plate and emblem fee. the Hawaii expiration date will be the last day of the full month that the out-of-state registration expires.

    Note: Taxes and fees are charged on an annual basis commencing when the out of state registration expires, there is no-proration for registrations which expire during the month.

Email: Information Section, Customer Services Department