Honolulu Ethics Commission
The Honolulu Ethics Commission advances the standards of ethical conduct in government as expressed in the Revised Charter and the Revised Ordinances of Honolulu. The purpose of these laws and the Commission's work is to improve and maintain public confidence in government officials and employees. The Ethics Commission:
- Advises and makes recommendations to city employees and officials as well as the public regarding conflicts of interest, acceptance of gifts, misuse of city resources, misuse of official position, representation of clients before city agencies, political activities, and post-employment restrictions.
- Enforces the ethics laws by imposing civil fines or recommending discipline for violations.
- Educates city officers and employees to perform their duties in an ethical manner. (MANDATORY ETHICS TRAINING FOR ALL CITY OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES COMPLIANCE DEADLINE: JUNE 22, 2014)
- Administers and enforces the financial disclosure requirements for city officials, employees, board and commission members, council members, and candidates for city elective office. Annual Financial Disclosures DEADLINE: January 31st.
- Administers and enforces the city's lobbying laws. Lobbyist registration forms and annual reports DEADLINE: January 10th.
Follow us on Facebook!
UPCOMING ETHICS COMMISSION MEETING: APRIL 25, 2014
Standard Financial Plaza715 South King Street, Suite 211
Honolulu, Hawai'i 96813-3091
Telephone: (808) 768-7786
Fax: (808) 768-1283
Charles W. Gall, Esq., Chair (Term Exp: 12-31-14)
Katy Y. Chen, Esq., Vice Chair (Term Exp: 12-31-15)
Rachael S. Wong, Dr.PH, Commissioner (Term Exp: 12-31-13 - Holdover)
Stephen A. Silva, Commissioner (Term Exp: 12-31-16)
W. Jeffrey Burroughs, Ph.D., Commissioner (Term Exp: 12-31-14)
Michael A. Lilly, Esq., Commissioner (Term Exp: 12-31-15)
Stanford Yuen, Commissioner (Term Exp: 12-31-16)
Charles W. Totto, Executive Director and Legal Counsel
Laurie A. Wong, Associate Legal Counsel
Letha A.S. DeCaires, Investigator
Lisa P. Parker, Legal Clerk
Darlene K. Nases, Po'okela Fellows Intern
We are interested in your comments, suggestions and concerns regarding ethics or this website. Please contact us to let us know what you think.