Revised Ordinances of Honolulu ("ROH") Sec. 3-13.3(a) requires each lobbyist, not later than five days after engaging himself or herself to conduct lobbying activities or receiving contributions, membership dues or a fee or salary as set forth in ROH Sec. 3-13.2, to file a registration form with the ethics commission. The registration form can be found here: Lobbyist Forms.
ROH Sec. 3-13.3(c) requires all lobbyists to file with the Commission an annual report concerning the lobbyists activities during the preceding calendar year ending December 31st by January 10th of each year. The annual report form can also be found here: Lobbyist Forms
DEADLINE FOR ALL ONGOING LOBBYIST REGISTRATION AND
ANNUAL REPORTS FOR 2013 ACTIVITIES:
JANUARY 10, 2014.
Please contact us immediately if you have not complied with this deadline.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a "lobbyist"?
Lobbyist is defined as "any individual, partnership, committee, association, corporation, and any other organization or group of individuals who engages oneself for pay or other consideration for the purpose of influencing directly or indirectly, and whether by such person or through any agent or employee or other person in any manner whatsoever, the policy making process of the City and County of Honolulu. ROH Sec. 3-13.2.
2. When have I "engaged" myself to conduct lobbying activities?
An individual, partnership, committee, association, corporation, and any other organization or group of individuals who accepts membership dues or contributions made, or a fee or salary paid, with the understanding that the person accepting the same intends to devote a portion of the funds contributed or the time for which the salary is paid to lobbying activities shall be deemed to have "engaged oneself" to conduct such activities. ROH Sec. 3-13.2.
3. What are "lobbying" activities?
"Lobbying" means certain activities of a person who is included in the definition of a lobbyist as defined above and not specifically excluded under Section 3-13.3(e) and includes the representation by any person, whether or not compensated, of an association, corporation or organization that accepts membership dues or contributions with the understanding that a portion of the funds so received will be used to influence the policy making process of the City and County of Honolulu.
4. Where can I find the city's lobbying laws?
They can be found in the Revised Ordinance of Honolulu Chapter 3, Article 13 - Registration of Lobbyist.
5. Do I need to complete a lobbyist registration form?*
- Do you fall under one of the exceptions? (ROH Sec. 3-13.3(e))
- Are you someone who merely appears at a public hearing before the council, its committees or city agencies to express your opinion on pending legislation and/or rules and regulations involved in the city's policy making process?
- Are you a federal, state, or county official or employee acting in your official capacity?
- Are you an elected public official acting in your official capacity?
- Are you a newspaper or other regularly published periodical, radio or television station (including someone who owns, publishes or is employed by a newspaper or periodical or radio or television station) which in the ordinary course of business publishes news items, editorials or other comments, or paid advertisements, which directly or indirectly urge the taking of legislative or executive action, if the newspaper, periodical, radio, or television station or individual engages in no further or other activities in connection with influencing decisions in the policy making process of the City and County of Honolulu.
- Are you representing a bona fide church solely for the purpose of protecting the public right to practice the doctrines of the church?
- Are you an unpaid volunteer representing a nonprofit organization, association or corporation provided that the organization, association or corporation (1) is registered in accordance with the provisions of Section 3-13.3 and (2) files a written authorization with the ethics commission specifically designating such person to represent it, and such persons may engage in the activities described in this subsection without being holders of a certificate of registration.
If you fall under one of the above exceptions, you do NOT need to file a lobbyist registration form. If you do NOT fall under one of the above exceptions, continue to the next question.
- Are you are a lobbyist? (See definition provided in ROH Sec. 3-13.2.)
If you answer subsection 2(a) in the affirmative you ARE a lobbyist, please continue. If NOT, then you do NOT need to complete a lobbyist registration form.
- Have you engaged yourself to conduct lobbying activities within the last 5 days? (See definition provided in ROH Sec. 3-13.2.)
If you answer subsection 3(a) in the affirmative, then you MUST file a registration form with the ethics commission pursuant to ROH Sec. 3-13.3(a).
*The outline found in this section is only for general guidance purposes and is not meant to constitute legal advice. If you have any questions regarding these requirements, please contact the Commission staff.
6. Where can I find a list of registered lobbyists for the city?
Below are the lists from 2008 to the present:
2008 Registered Lobbyists List
2009 Registered Lobbyists List
2010 Registered Lobbyists List
2011 Registered Lobbyists List
2012 Registered Lobbyists List
2013 Registered Lobbyists List
2014 Registered Lobbyists List