You are here:  Main / Customer Services / Public Communications Division / honnews01 / King Street Rehabilitation

Honolulu News

June 26, 2001

KING STREET REHABILITATION AND WATER MAIN PROJECT TO BEGIN

 

Long-awaited improvements to King Street begin on Monday, July 2 as the city proceeds with much-needed upgrades that include concrete bus lanes, curb ramps, and drainage systems.

The work will be coordinated with an ongoing project by the Board of Water Supply, which will rehabilitate a 24-inch water main on North King Street.

Improvements will occur in two sections of King Street, from Liliha Street to River Street and from Bethel Street to South Street. The project was scheduled this year to ensure federal funding was not jeopardized and because the improvements rated high on the city's list of needed repair and rehabilitation work. The following action is being taken to accelerate the work and reduce negative impacts on the community:

Working hours will be from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and generally from 7:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Road planing and other noisy work will be performed during the day and asphalt resurfacing will be done at night.

No more than two lanes will be closed at any one time during the day to minimize traffic disruptions.

The project hotline number is 808-479-7952 and information will be available on this website.

Bus lanes will be installed one block at a time.

The new concrete bus lanes are needed to better support the weight of the buses. Bus lanes will be installed on the mauka side of North King Street from Liliha Street to North Beretania, North Beretania to Hotel Street at Nuuanu Stream, and from Punchbowl to Alapai streets. Bus lanes on the makai side of King Street will be at the corner of Dillingham Boulevard, from Richards Street to the existing bus pad at Punchbowl Street, and from Punchbowl Street to South Street.

Curb ramps will be at all intersections in the project areas. Traffic signals, light poles and signs will be relocated to accommodate the curb ramps.

The 24-inch water main project will be done in phases over nine months. The 24- inch water line replaces an older main that has experienced breaks in the past. The new line will ensure more reliable water service for residents of the area.

The total cost of the King Street rehabilitation project cost is $4,453,891, with thecity paying about 20 percent and the remaining 80 percent paid by the Federal Highway Administration Fund. The Board of Water Supply is paying the water main project cost of $2,349,707. Royal Contracting Co., Ltd. is the contractor.

###

Wednesday, February 27, 2002

© Copyright 2002-2006 City and County of Honolulu, Hawaii
Privacy Statement | Technical Support | Customer Service | Policy | Accessibility | Diversity Statement