FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 7, 2005
MAYOR HANNEMANN ANNOUNCES DEPUTY DIRECTOR APPOINTMENTS
Mayor Mufi Hannemann today announced the appointment of the following deputy directors:
- Deputy director of the Department of Design and Construction, Wayne M. Hashiro, a civil engineer and manager with the Army Corps of Engineers. Hashiro has been an engineer with the corps for the past 10 years, most recently as a district support team leader. He has held engineering posts with the Corps of Engineers in Japan and Virginia as well as in Hawaii. He served as a congressional fellow for U.S. Daniel Akaka in 1994-95.
- Deputy director of the Department of Enterprise Services, Gail Y. Haraguchi, who has extensive marketing experience. She has been vice president and manager of the Honolulu office of a GKO & Associates, an engineering firm with headquarters in San Francisco, since 1995. Haraguchi is also a member of the Hawaii Tourism Authority. She previously worked for the engineering firm Parametrix Inc., and Kaiser Permanente.
- Deputy director of the Department of Environmental Services, Kenneth A. Shimizu, president and chief executive officer of Retail Solutions, Inc., an Aiea information technology firm that offers services for small businesses. He is also the corporate secretary/treasurer for Mazzo, Inc., a Waipahu sporting goods distributor. Shimizu has also been a small business owner and has held financial positions with several island businesses.
- Deputy director of the Department of Facility Maintenance, George “Keoki” Miyamoto, who held that post under the previous administration. Miyamoto has 38 years of service with the state and the city and has been acting Transportation Services director since last September. He was deputy director of the Department of Facility Maintenance from 1999 to 2001. He served as deputy director of the Department of Transportation Services from 2001 until last fall. He is an engineer and has also held posts with the state departments of Land and Natural Resources and Transportation.
- Deputy director of the Department of Parks and Recreation, Dana Takahara Dias, athletic administrator of Moanalua High School. Dias was special education teacher at Pohukaina School from 1991 to 1992 and at Moanalua High School until 1999, when she became Moanalua’s assistant athletic administrator. She assumed the title of Moanalua’s athletic administrator in 2001.
The appointments of department deputy directors are not subject to confirmation by the Honolulu City Council.