FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE December 27, 2005
NEW YEAR’S DAY HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
City government offices will be closed Monday, January 2, 2005, in observance of New Year’s Day, which falls on Sunday.
- Emergency ambulance, fire, lifeguard and police services will be provided.
- The People's Open Markets will be closed on both Sunday (New Year’s Day) and Monday.
- Refuse will NOT be collected, and convenience centers will be closed, but landfills and H-POWER will remain open.
- Handi-Van service will operate on Monday on its weekend schedule.
- City buses will operate on Monday on a SUNDAY schedule.
- All satellite city halls will be closed, including those at the Ala Moana, Pearlridge and Windward locations. The Hawaii Kai Satellite City Hall will be closed on Sunday (New Year’s Day), Monday (regular closure day) and Tuesday, Jan. 3.
- The Neal Blaisdell box office will be closed.
- The Honolulu Zoo will be open on both Sunday (New Year’s Day) and Monday.
These traffic and parking regulations will be in effect on Monday:
- On-street parking will be free, except for the meters on Kalakaua Avenue along Kapiolani Park.
- Parking will be permitted in tow-away zones where it is allowed on holidays.
- There will be no coning of commuter traffic lanes.
- Traffic signals at Kalakaua Avenue and Kapiolani will be three-phase to permit mauka-bound traffic to turn left onto Kapiolani Boulevard.
- Parking in municipal lots will NOT be free.
The following will be closed on Sunday, New Year’s Day, but open on Monday (Jan. 2):
- Botanical gardens.
- All golf courses will be closed on New Year’s Day, EXCEPT for the Ala Wai, Ewa Villages, Ted Makalena and Kahuku golf courses. On Monday, all golf courses will be open.