|You are here: Main / Customer Services / Public Communications Division / honnews06 / Hannemann Praises Waimea Settlement|
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 13, 2006
HANNEMANN PRAISES WAIMEA SETTLEMENT
Mayor Mufi Hannemann today hailed the out-of-court agreement that will allow a consortium of government and public interest groups to purchase
“This historic agreement will allow us to preserve one of the most pristine and treasured ahupua‘a on
The settlement was mediated by Clyde Matsui and calls for landowner Christian Wolffer to convey to the Office of Hawaiian Affairs all 1,875 acres that make up Waimea. The City will obtain a conservation and public access easement in perpetuity over the
Participating in the purchase are:
· The City and
· U.S. Army (through the Trust for
· Office of Hawaiian Affairs, $2.9 million
· State Department of Land and Natural Resources, $1.6 million
· National Audubon Society, $1 million (advanced by OHA).
“We want to thank all of them for coming up with real financial commitments to ensure Waimea remains undeveloped,” said Hannemann. “I asked them to show me the money, and they did.
“We’d like to thank Haunani Apoliona, chair of the OHA board of trustees, and OHA administrator Clyde Namuo, DLNR Chairman Peter Young as well as the National Audubon Society and the City Council,” said Hannemann.
“In particular we’re grateful to Colonel Howard Killian, commander of the U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii, and Josh Stanbro (represented today by Tim Johns),
“In addition, we are grateful to Mr. Matsui for mediating this settlement and Mr. Wolffer and his attorney, Bill McCorriston, for their willingness to negotiate,” Hannemann said. “Most of all we thank those members of the public who spoke up.”
Wolffer acquired the valley, including
Saying the land was worth far more, Wolffer filed pleadings to contest the city’s condemnation. Last year, a tentative settlement was reached that would have allowed the City to acquire the lower 300 acres of the valley, including Waimea Falls Park for the $5.1 million it had deposited with the court for the lawsuit, while Wolffer would have kept the remaining 1,575 acres, where he sought to developed as many as eight private homes.
In the face of vocal public sentiment to preserve the valley, the City Council rejected that tentative settlement last month.
Mayor Hannemann began negotiations with all parties involved to reach today’s settlement. Court proceedings on Wolffer’s lawsuit were scheduled to begin on February 13.
The City will not pay a single penny more than the $5.1 million it originally set aside in 2002 to obtain the valley from Wolffer, said the mayor.
Bill Brennan, 527-6928
Mark Matsunaga, 527-5784
|Tuesday, January 17, 2006|