FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 4, 2006
MAYOR HAILS CITY WORKERS, PATIENCE OF RESIDENTS AND VISITORS AS WAIKIKI BEACH REOPENS
Mayor Mufi Hannemann today said:
“We are very happy that the state Department of Health saw fit to reopen the portions of Waikiki Beach that it ordered closed less than 48 hours ago. Our City Environmental Services Department experts were confident that the bacteria counts were already on the way down and this confirms their judgment.
“No one took the closures more personally than the many City workers who have been working non-stop to limit damage to the environment and the economy from last week’s sewer main break on Kaiolu Street. That main break, as I said, was a nightmare come true and a consequence of my predecessor’s failure to upgrade or properly maintain our aging infrastructure. The City spent a billion dollars beautifying Waikiki above ground, and nary a penny underground in previous years.
“Keeping public safety first and foremost, we were the ones who helped put up the warning signs, and we’re the ones who are taking them down this afternoon. We appreciate the patience and aloha of our workers, local residents and visitors throughout the past two weeks and we’re glad the sun is back.”
Bill Brennan, 527-6928
Mark Matsunaga, 527-5767