FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE March 14, 2006
MAYOR HANNEMANN TO CONVENE
CHINATOWN SUMMIT ON APRIL 27
Mayor Mufi Hannemann today (Tuesday, March 14, 2006) announced plans to hold the Mayor’s Chinatown Summit on April 27 at the Hawaii Theatre.
“We hope to bring residents, businesses, community leaders, private organizations and the City together to assess the economic potential of our historic Chinatown and map a strategy for its revitalization,” said Hannemann. “As I’ve said many times, I envision Chinatown as a vibrant center for culture and the arts.
“Last year, we helped secure a prestigious Ford Foundation grant of up to $400,000 to the Hawaii Arts Alliance toward that end, but I hope that was just the beginning,” the mayor said. “We hope to do for Chinatown what the City did for Waikiki, at a fraction of the cost.”
The summit is scheduled from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and includes a keynote speech by Hannemann followed by presentations on:
· Customers’ Perspectives of Chinatown, by Dexter Suzuki of Bedrock,
· Community Views by Wiwik Bunjamin-Mau of The ARTS at Marks Garage,
· The Entrepreneurial Experience by former state senator Anthony Chang,
· The Arts in Chinatown, by Ed Korybski, Honolulu Culture and Arts District Association, and Marilyn Cristofori of the Hawaii Arts Alliance,
· Economic Development for Immigrant Groups, by Dr. Tin Myaing Thein of the Pacific Gateway Center.
Following a no-host lunch in Chinatown, afternoon workshops will begin at 2 p.m. on mini grants (Ford Foundation), community concerns and “What Do Customers Want?”
Rod Tam, the City Councilman for the area, has also been invited to participate and offer his perspectives.
The Chinatown Summit is being sponsored by the City and Enterprise Honolulu and hosted by the Hawaii Theatre Center. There is no fee for participation, but registration is required. To register, call the Hawaii Theatre box office, 528-0506, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Deadline for registration is April 22.
Alenka Remec, 527-6221
Bill Brennan, 527-6928
Mark Matsunaga, 527-5767