FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE March 23, 2006
PARKS DIRECTOR SAYS CITY WILL CLOSE
ALA MOANA PARK NIGHTLY
Lester Chang, director of the City Department of Parks and Recreation, today announced Ala Moana Regional Park will be closed nightly to the public for a month beginning Monday, March 27, 2006.
“We will be carrying out a temporary series of nightly closures of Ala Moana Regional Park leading up to a three-day shutdown of the park April 25 to 27 for some long-needed maintenance,” said Chang.
The park will be closed to people and vehicles from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. daily. Those hours will be modified next weekend because of the Honolulu Centennial Family Festival on Magic Island. The park closure hours will be 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. March 31 through April 2. After that, the closure reverts back to 10 pm to 4 am.
“As City Parks director, my concern is for clean, healthy, safe parks for all of the public to enjoy,” Chang said.
Beginning April 25, the entire park will be closed for three days for major maintenance and clean-up that will involve several city departments. The work includes:
· Thoroughly clean all comfort stations.
· Paint the Ala Wai portals; canal bridges; retaining walls; and the Ewa and Waikiki comfort stations. We just recently completed a major makeover of the three Magic Island comfort stations.
· Sweep, repair potholes and restripe parking lots and beach road. Repaint curbs.
· Do comprehensive landscape maintenance. Evaluate all trees and prune as necessary.
· Repair picnic tables and park benches.
· Paint and perform maintenance work on lifeguard towers.
· Repair and perform maintenance on irrigation systems and other infrastructure.
“Our goal is to improve Ala Moana Park safety, maintenance and cleanliness, ” said Chang. “I want it to be safe and inviting for everyone. I cherish the wonderful memories of my children learning to swim off of Magic Island. We want to bring the sparkle back to one of our crown jewel parks.”
Bill Brennan, 527-6928
Mark Matsunaga, 527-5767