FREE YOUTH BASKETBALL CLINIC ON AUGUST 17
FEATURING U.S. AND CHINESE COACHES
Mayor Mufi Hannemann and the Department of Parks and Recreation are sponsoring a free youth basketball clinic this Friday, August 17, from 10:00 a.m. to noon, at the Manoa Valley District Park Gym.
Players should bring their own basketballs and water. Registration begins at 9:45 a.m. Questions may be directed to the Department of Parks and Recreation, at 692-5725.
The clinic will feature five top coaches:
· Bruce O’Neil, former University of Hawaii men’s basketball coach and founder-CEO of the U.S. Basketball Academy;
· Bob Nash, current UH men’s hoops coach;
· Bob Gaillard, former head basketball coach for the University of San Francisco;
· Wang Fei, former head coach of the Chinese national basketball team; and
· Sun Jun, coach of the Jilin Northern Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association professional league.
Mayor Hannemann said, “I’m very grateful that Bruce O’Neil, coaches Nash and Gaillard, and their counterparts from China are willing to share their time and talents at this youth clinic. It’s not often that our young people have an opportunity to be coached by those at the professional level, and I know they’ll gain a lot from the experience.”
The visiting coaches are in Honolulu for the Chinese Basketball Association’s draft of American and European athletes for spots on the league’s 15-team roster.
Dana Takahara-Dias, 692-5725