|You are here: Main / Customer Services / Public Communications Division / 2009 / High Surf Evacuation Guidance for Leeward Coast and North Shore Residents|
The Bus will provide evacuation shuttles to the designated locations from noon to 5:00 PM today. Evacuation shuttles will pick up residents at
Residents going to a Red Cross shelter must bring with them non-perishable food, water, clothing, bedding, personal medications, etc.
Be aware that family pets are not allowed in Red Cross shelters. If you have pets take them with you when you evacuate. Pets in their pet carriers should be placed in your vehicle which is parked in a shaded and secure area next to the shelter. Be sure to bring food, water and cleaning supplies for each pet.
Service animals assisting persons with disabilities will be allowed in shelters.
If you are evacuating beaches or beach parks please take down tents and tarps.
In addition, the
· Keep informed of the latest advisories and warnings from official sources; stay tuned to television and radio stations for information and updates.
· Trim dead wood and weak / overhanging branches from all trees.
· Be careful of certain trees and bushes vulnerable to high winds; trees near a home can fall and become a hazard.
· Secure lawn furniture, trash cans and other outside objects that could become projectiles in high winds.
· Have flashlights, battery operated radio, and spare batteries on-hand in case of a power outage.
· Operators of large trucks and SUVs should be prepared for sudden gusts of wind which could cause momentary loss of vehicle control.
· Listen carefully for safety instructions from the
· Curtail non-essential travel and outdoor activities.
· Should you have a high wind related emergency call 9-1-1 immediately.
Remember that debris such as broken signs, roofing material, and small items left outside become flying missiles during high wind events. Extensive damage to trees, towers, water and underground utility lines (from uprooted trees), and fallen utility poles can cause further disruption.
John M. Cummings III
Public Information Officer
(808) 723-8957 Office
Red Cross Shelter Operations Information
Manager of Response and Preparedness
American Red Cross,