|You are here: Main / Customer Services / Public Communications Division / 2009 / Mayor Hannemann Announces Natatorium Task Force|
MAYOR HANNEMANN ANNOUNCES NATATORIUM TASK FORCE
Mayor Mufi Hannemann today announced the formation of a special Natatorium Task Force which will conduct a series of public meetings and make a recommendation for the future of the aging
The 17-member Task Force will hold its first meeting on Thursday, May 28, from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., in the Mayor's Conference Room, on the third floor of Honolulu Hale.
"This community-based planning process will help us decide how best to honor the symbolism and history of the Natatorium while also addressing the real problems presented by its current condition," Mayor Hannemann said. "Our community has wrestled with this dilemma for far too long, and it's time to move forward with solutions."
The Task Force members were selected because of their interest and involvement in various organizations, such as those listed below. However, they do not necessarily represent such organizations officially while serving on this Task Force. The members include:
· Ms. Hannie Anderson, Hawaiian civic clubs, canoe clubs;
· CPO Fred Ballard, USN (Ret.);
· Mr. Rick Bernstein, Kaimana Beach Coalition;
· Mr. Art Caleda, President, World War II Filipino American Veterans;
· Mr. Jean Pierre Cercillieux, General Manager of the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel;
· Mr. Rick Egged; President,
· Ms. Kiersten Faulkner, AICP, Executive Director of the Historic
· Dr. Charles "Chip" Fletcher, Professor in the Department of Geology and Geophysics,
· Mr. Tim Guard, decorated Vietnam War veteran;
· Mr. Edgar Hamasu, Korean War veteran;
· State Rep. Ken Ito, Air Force veteran, Chairman of the House Water, Land and Ocean Resources Committee;
· Mr. Brian Keaulana, Lifeguard;
· Mr. Collins Lam, Deputy Director of the Honolulu Department of Design and Construction;
· Mr. Linuce Pang, President of Friends of the Natatorium;
· Dr. Andrew Rossiter, Director,
· Mr. Jimmy Shin, Korean War Veterans
· Lt. Gen. H.C. Stackpole USMC (Ret.).
Media contact: Bill Brennan, Mayor's Office, 768-6928