|You are here: Main / Customer Services / Public Communications Division / 2012 / 11/19/12 Traffic Advisory: Honolulu City Lights Parade on December 1|
TRAFFIC ADVISORY: HONOLULU CITY LIGHTS PARADE ON DECEMBER 1
(Mon., November 19, 2012) — The annual Honolulu City Lights Public Workers Electric Light Parade will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 1, 2012, in Chinatown and Downtown. The parade features work vehicles adorned with lights and special decorations. Among the 50 or more units expected are fire and police vehicles, TheBus, TheHandi-Van, other City service vehicles, marching bands, and entries from Honolulu City Lights sponsors.
The parade, held on King Street, begins at approximately 6 p.m., steps off at River Street, proceeds past Honolulu Hale, and ends at Kawaiahao Street. Decorated vehicles will park at the end of the parade for public viewing until 8:15 p.m.
PARKING IN THE AFFECTED AREA
Motorists bound for events in Chinatown and Downtown Honolulu on December 1 are advised to arrive well before 5:00 p.m. and to plan for traffic delays. Parking will be accessible at:
TRAFFIC DETOURS IN CHINATOWN AND DOWNTOWN
Motorists are advised that street closures and detours for the parade and opening night ceremony will affect traffic in the Chinatown and Downtown areas on the evening of Saturday, December 1.
Traffic flow will be detoured or modified on the following streets.
STREET CLOSURES ON DECEMBER 1, 2012
Traffic lanes and streets will be closed on Saturday, December 1 as follows.
· River Street will be closed at Pauahi Street.
· Bishop will be two-way between Beretania and the Executive Center parking lot driveway.
· Makai-bound traffic on Maunakea will be detoured to Pauahi Street.
· Nuuanu Avenue will be open with intermittent traffic flow.
· Bethel Street will become two-way, between Hotel Street and Macy’s parking lot entrance.
· Richards Street mauka of King Street will be closed at Beretania Street
· Kekaulike, Maunakea, and Smith streets makai of King Street will be closed at Nimitz Highway.
· Bethel Street will be closed at Merchant Street.
· Mililani Street will be closed at Queen Street.
· Alakea Street will be open with intermittent traffic flow allowed.
STREET PARKING PROHIBITIONS ON DECEMBER 1, 2012
No parking from 1:00 p.m. to 12 midnight on Saturday, December 1, 2012. Illegally parked cars will be cited and towed.
No Parking from 1:00 pm to 8:00 p.m., Saturday, December 1, 2012. Illegally parked cars will be cited and towed.
TheBus routes affected by the parade are detoured. Please go to www.thebus.org or
Contact: Parade Coordinator Edward Oi at Department of Customer Services - 768-3499.
Street Usage Permits Office, Department of Transportation Services - 768-8387.