|You are here: Main / Customer Services / Public Communications Division / 2013 / 09/20/13 Traffic Advisory: Lane closures for Honolulu Rail Transit Project|
Traffic Advisory: Lane closures
The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) wants to inform drivers of lane closures next week related to construction and design work for the Honolulu rail transit project. Motorists are advised of work along the 20-mile rail route from East Kapolei to Ala Moana Center that will require lane closures during non-peak traffic hours.
For the safety of both the work crews and motorists, the public is advised to proceed with caution through these areas. Drivers should anticipate possible traffic delays or use alternate routes during work hours, and provide a safe distance between themselves and the workers and equipment:
West Oahu/Farrington Highway Section (East Kapolei to Waipahu)
Farrington Highway in Ewa between Kualakai Parkway (North-South Road) and Old Fort Weaver Road Loop will be closed through March 2014 as part of construction. Traffic in both directions of Farrington Highway will be detoured to either the H-1 Freeway or other nearby roadways:
· Drivers will still be able to travel between East Kapolei and the Ewa/Waipahu region by using either Kapolei Parkway or Geiger Road on the south end of Kualakai Parkway, or the H-1 Freeway on the north end.
· The public will be able to access the Aloun Farms pumpkin patch during the last three weekends of October via Farrington Highway through Kualakai Parkway.
Daytime lane closures will take place from Monday, September 23 to Friday, September 27 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the following locations:
· Maintenance crews will work along various sections of Farrington Highway in Waipahu. During the work, the contractor's vehicles may be temporarily parked in the highway lanes, causing a slight slowdown in traffic flow.
Nighttime east- and west-bound lane closures along Farrington Highway in the Ewa and Waipahu area will take place from Sunday, September 22 to Thursday, September 26 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. for utility relocation work:
· Between Old Fort Weaver Road and Leoku Street
· Between Mokuola Street and Kahualii Street
· One lane in each direction of Farrington Highway in Waipahu will remain open at all times during the utility relocation work.
Kamehameha Highway Section (Pearl City to Aloha Stadium)
Daytime closures will take place from Monday, September 23 to Friday, September 27 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the following location for maintenance work:
· Inside lane of the H-1/Moanalua Freeway On-Ramp along Kamehameha Highway near Aloha Stadium
Airport Section (Aloha Stadium to Kalihi)
Lane closures will take place from Monday, September 23 to Friday, September 27 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the following locations in the Pearl Harbor area:
· The left lane of Kamehameha Highway in the east-bound direction near the H-1 Freeway and Makai Frontage Road
· The right lane of Kamehameha Highway in the east-bound direction near Radford Drive
· The right lane of Kamehameha Highway in the west-bound direction near Halawa Drive
City Center Section (Kalihi to Ala Moana Center)
No lane closures scheduled for next week in the City Center area.
For updates on work days and times, visit the project website at http://honolulutransit.org or contact our hotline at 566-2299.
Click for Farrington Highway Detour Map
# # #
Media Contact: Scott Ishikawa. (808) 768-6172. cell: (808) 227-2350.